Wednesday, May 12, 2010

School, Life, Characters, and Meryl

I am a 23-year old graduate student in Memphis, TN. I've never written a blog before; truthfully, I found the whole premise somewhat strange at first. I spend a lot of my time studying my way through graduate school. I really like to write (although, I don't typically enjoy reading as much) and when I can take a few minutes to myself - I really enjoy watching films. I enjoy almost all genres of movies, except for some of the science fiction, which I can not quite throw myself into.
Throughout the last year, I've become very fond of Meryl Streep's movies. I've found myself connecting to the women she portrays in almost every film. Ironically, when I watched Julie and Julia last year and Amy Adam's character describes the connection she feels with Julia Child - it reminded me of the connection I often feel with these characters. For example, the mother-daughter relationship in Mamma Mia, the mother-daughter relationship in It's complicated, the relationship between Julie Powell and her husband in Julie & Julia, the confusion of balancing a family and a life that Joanna faces in Kramer vs. Kramer, and even the political concern and involvement as the TV journalist in Lions for lambs. These films are my outlet from school, stress, and life - but, I feel as though I'm living through them with her.
So, a long story short...I have decided to blog my way through Meryl Streep's movies - perhaps this was even inspired by one of her films: Julie & Julia. I hope that you will accompany me - if there's anyone reading this. I will likely not be going in a predictable order, but I'll conclude each blog with which one is next. Hopefully, some of you can watch, comment, and enjoy them with me.
Here goes....up next: The Manchurian Candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment